Monday, July 2, 2012

The Hague, or How My Mind Got Blown

I love cities - hence the whole urban planning degree thing.  When a few of my colleagues (hmm...colleagues makes them sound way too sophisticated) suggested we take a bike ride from Delft to The Hague, I was definitely excited to see yet another city I knew basically nothing about.  After a mishap provided an opportunity to MacGyver the shit out of Zef Wagner's broken bike and we got lost a few times, we finally made it to a city that is in the midst of a massive development project that has produced some unbelievable structures.  It also happens to be the home of a diverse range of ethnic populations, which was somewhat refreshing considering both Portland's and Delft's relative lack thereof.  


After staring in awe at the city's emerging core (including a building that was built OVER the tram line, as shown below), we turned around and made the 12km trek back to Delft to make it back before it got dark.  


(This is what makes this post relevant to transportation)

As it happens, a few of us headed back today to go to the beach and geek out over everything I just mentioned.  I got a few more pictures, which is really all you want to see anyway.  











3 comments:

  1. I'd just like to say that I'm very impressed you took some pictures with your camera pointed upward. Did you make sure no one was looking first? (Also, these are awesome pictures.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reminds me of something I saw recently:

    http://www.retronaut.co/2012/03/how-you-may-live-and-travel-in-the-city-of-1950-c-1925/

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pictures are great, but the text is better for documenting what you learn along the way. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete