Monday, June 18, 2012

Delft-bound

It's a strange feeling to be heading to a place in the world you know nothing about.  Well, that's not entirely true.  The following images comprise the extent of my knowledge of Delft, Netherlands:



And the second one I only know from a Google image search.  Something like 100,000 people live there, which means there are approximately 1,000,000 bicycles within the city limits--limits that I'm sure contain no more than 5,000 sq. ft.  


So yeah, in a little less than two weeks I'll be making my way across the Atlantic to spend half a month learning why the Dutch have transportation systems figured out and (presumably) why we'll never be able to re-create their success in the States.  


"Then what's the point of going?" you might ask.  Well, like someone who thinks they have an STI, I want to be proven wrong.  Who knows - perhaps I'll be optimistically inspired by the experience.  Either way I probably won't make it back alive. 

2 comments:

  1. Well, hopefully the bike you were riding won't be the death of you. Nice work getting through a tough spot, I was very impressed with your attitude and positive outlook. How's that learning about the Netherlands thing going?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peter, if my wife sees your comment she will be shocked. But yeah, I tried to stay positive so as not to lose my mind. Anyway, the forthcoming blog on that incident is almost done. And I feel like I'm becoming a master of all things Delfty.

    ReplyDelete